Tax refund from Germany

We deal with the processing of tax settlements from Germany. Our service is aimed at people who have legally worked in Germany and whose employers have paid advance income tax on their earnings. Thanks to cooperation with us, you can apply for a tax refund from Germany. We support you at all stages of the process.

Formalities for the calculation of tax from Germany

If you worked in Germany, you can calculate your income tax even after 4 years. But you should not delay. The sooner you submit your documents, the sooner you can get a tax refund on your account. If you do not have the necessary documents, we can apply to the tax office for your tax card refund at Finanzamt. By cooperating with us, you acquire a loyal partner who will be your representative when dealing with administrative issues and formalities in foreign offices.

We offer transparent and flexible terms of cooperation (also in terms of payment) that are tailored to your needs and capabilities. You can count on substantial support at every stage. We encourage you to contact our head office to find out more information. We will make your tax return in Germany simple and enjoyable!

zwrot podatku z niemiec

Our clients have received an average of 1270 € as a refund – check if you can get German tax refund.

The cost of tax settlement from Germany:

Prepayment settlement


German tax settlement: 120 €

Payment after settlement

German tax settlement: 14% is charged on the refund amount
(not less than 120 €)

Go to online calculation

zwrot podatku z zagranicy online

With us, tax calculation can be done anywhere in the world from the comfort of your own home

  • Sit back
  • answer a few simple questions
  • add the required documents from the list
You’ll send everything to us using a handy form – leave all the formalities to us.

We have been calculating taxes since 2006

Support at every stage

Comfortable and flexible use

Average customer rating in 2023

Settlement anywhere in the world

Security of your documents and personal data

Our customers’ accounts received a total amount of

The tax year runs from January 1 to December 31 of the relevant calendar year. During this time, while working in Germany, collect all proof of expenses and tax deductions to which you are entitled.

In 2024, the last year for which taxes can be calculated from Germany is 2020. The tax return for this year must be received by 31.12.2024. After this deadline, it will not be possible to send the return to the office - such functions in the accounting software will be blocked and the sent paper return will be rejected. You can also file a return in 2024 for:

- 2022, the deadline for receiving a return for that year is December 31, 2026.

- 2021, the deadline for receiving a return for that year is December 31, 2025.

When to pay the tax?

You can pay your German tax for the previous year as soon as you have the necessary documents. If all your employers have already filed their tax returns for the previous year and you have received an EU/EWR form from the tax authorities in another EU country - you can pay your German tax! Apply for a tax calculation today!

What period the tax year covers?

It is important to remember that the tax year runs from January 01 to December 31 of the relevant calendar year. During this time, while working in Germany, collect all proof of expenses and tax benefits to which you are entitled.

What is the deadline for filing a declaration in Germany?

If you have worked in Germany and you have a filing obligation, you generally have to file by 31.07.

However, there is good news, the deadline for filing 2023 returns has been extended. The authorities have given the option to file the 2023 tax return by September 2, 2024.

In order to receive a tax refund, you must provide documentation to prove your income earned in Germany. A tax card, or Lohnsteuerbescheinigung, is an annual card that proves how much you earned from a particular employer during the year. If you have had more than one employer, please provide us with all the tax certificates you have received.

On the other hand, if you have not received such certificates, you can provide an Abrechnung, i.e. a monthly payslip for each working day. The document, which relates to the last month of employment with each employer for the relevant tax year, must contain the same data as shown on the tax card.

For tax refunds, you must also present an EU/EWR certificate that proves your income earned in a country other than Germany, e.g. Poland.

The Lohnsteuerbescheinigung, the corresponding Abrechnung and the completed EU/EWR form are necessary documents for the correct completion of the income tax return.

What is the UE/EOG certificate (Bescheinigung EU/EWR) and how to obtain it?

The EU/EWR certificate (Bescheinigung) is a document that you need to pay taxes in Germany. This form confirms your income earned outside Germany. In order to fill in the form correctly, you must show your global income on the form.

Depends on the set of documents. If you cannot get a tax card or have problems obtaining one, it can be replaced by an Abrechnung, i.e. a monthly pay slip for the last month of work in the relevant tax year.

The prerequisite is that it must include the date of termination of employment (December receipt is an exception) and the annual summary. If you are not sure that this will be sufficient for your calculation - send it to us for verification ( We will check the documents you have and let you know if they can be calculated.

And if necessary, we will offer to reinstate your tax card.

How to recover a lost tax card from Germany?

If you do not have the necessary documents, this does not mean that you cannot get a tax refund from Germany. You can count on our help.

We will write a letter for you to the relevant tax office asking them to send us the address details they have for you. At the same time, we will provide the name of your employer and the period of employment. To receive this service, please download the Tax Card Reinstatement Application Packet

However, it may happen that the German tax office does not have the necessary information about you. We therefore recommend that you first contact your employer to obtain this document. Please note that they are obliged to issue you a tax card by the end of February.

It depends on whether you have a tax obligation. If you are obliged to file an income tax return, under German law this means that you have to file it every year. If you fail to file an income tax return, the authorities can, firstly, send you a request and even charge you fines and penalties for late filing of your tax return.

If you have no tax liability, you do not have to file a return. However, it is worth considering whether filing a return will be beneficial to you. Even after a short period of time, there is a good chance that the calculation of the return will end up with a substantial tax refund.

Individuals who are tax residents of Germany are obliged to file an annual return of a certain fiscal year in Germany. This status is granted to individuals who have been permanently resident in Germany or for more than six months and have therefore received unlimited tax liability.

Generally, a tax liability arises for people who meet at least one of the following conditions:

  • the taxpayer has received a Steuernummer (usually persons who have already settled in DE before, as the Steuernummer is issued after settlement. It is indicated in the tax assessment notice).
  • the taxpayer receives a so-called Steuerfreibetrag (relief at the request of the employer - this is indicated on the tax card) from the tax office
  • нthe taxpayer has been assigned the third or sixth tax class - Steuerklasse 3 or 6
  • Taxpayers with a registered business in Germany (Gewerbe)
  • German pension recipients
  • welfare recipients in Germany
  • who receive income from outside Germany of more than 410 euros in a given tax year.

2020 = 9 408,00 €

2021 = 9 744,00 €

2022 = 10 347,00 €

2023 = 10 908,00 €

2024 = 11 604,00 €

In individual and joint tax returns, you can take advantage of tax incentives that can reduce the amount of tax payable. Include accommodation expenses in your documents: accommodation bills, rent (apartment rental agreement), internet or cell phone (German operator) used for business purposes. Travel expenses are also very important: bus tickets, intercity bus tickets or airline tickets. Travel expenses from your place of residence to your place of work in Germany can also be included in the declaration as a lump-sum payment.

Remember that the tax office can always ask for proof of any benefits included in the declaration. Therefore, it is always advisable to collect evidence of expenses incurred in connection with legal employment so that the amount of tax refund will be higher.

Yes. When you decide to file your income tax return, you commit to providing the IRS with all accurate information about yourself. By showing your children and providing the necessary documents, you have the opportunity to get an additional tax on the solidarity credit. This must be taken into account on your tax refund from Germany.

Information about your dependent children can be entered in the appropriate fields when submitting documents or completing the online form. Information about your dependent children can be entered into the

In order to receive a tax refund in Germany, you must reply to all letters from the tax office within the deadline. Please forward the tax letter you receive to us as soon as possible - we will translate it and reply to it.

Failure to respond will delay the tax settlement process. In addition, an official who does not have complete information may underestimate the amount of your tax refund, for example, by not taking into account the listed expenses.

The waiting period to receive a tax refund from Germany is between 3 and 6 months after you have sent your return to the tax office. This period is negotiable and the office has no time limit on the processing time of the filed return.

The result and the best confirmation of the settlement is the decision of the tax office sent to the taxpayer's address. It will state what tax benefits you are entitled to and what costs the tax office accepted in preparing your return.

If the tax office refunds the tax as a result of a decision, it always transfers it to the bank account indicated in the declaration. The finance office usually orders the transfer within a short time after the tax ruling has been issued.

Payment of commission

After your declaration has been processed, the office will send the money to our technical account - it will be set up especially for you. You will receive a tax decision from the German tax office at your postal address. As soon as we receive the decision from you, we will send you the amount for the refund less our fee.

Payment in cash

If you choose to pay by cash or bank transfer, the office will send the tax refund due to you to your bank account before processing. All you need to do is provide us with your account number when completing the form.

The following expenses may be deducted from the declaration:

  • Travel to work - i.e. travel from your place of residence in Germany to your place of work
  • accommodation - attach proof, e.g. receipts, transfers
  • dietary - we need a list of construction sites/job list/certificate from employer
  • courses/training - need a certificate of completion and proof of tuition fees
  • medicines/medical treatment - need receipts/invoices, doctor's note on the need to take them, issued before taking them

Keep in mind that if you are traveling in a company vehicle, but are paying your own fuel costs, the office may still not accept these expenses.

The per diems of foreign workers are not taxable if you show what they were spent on. The best solution is to get a certificate from your employer about the per diems paid on your salary during the year. Such a document is the best proof for the German tax authorities.

The following expenses may be deducted from the declaration:

  • per diem - to itemize it, you need a certificate from your employer indicating the number of days when you worked more than 8 hours and 24 hours
  • lump sum for overnight stays in a cabin - a certificate from the employer stating the number of working days over 24 hours is required for entry in the declaration.
  • periodic driver examinations (attach receipts for the examinations)
  • business telephone calls - attach receipts
  • expenses incurred - include a lump sum not exceeding 240 euros
  • corrective eyeglasses - attach receipts for payment of eyeglasses
  • courses/training - need certificate of completion and proof of payment
  • medications/medical procedures - attach receipts/bills and a doctor's note stating that they need to be taken before treatment begins.

If you make long distance trips and sleep in the cab of the truck (and therefore do not have a regular place of employment), we can arrange round-trip transportation for you.

Six tax classes can be distinguished:

I - It most often includes unmarried and divorced persons, as well as widows and widowers..

II - This class includes unmarried persons who are single at the same time..

III - This class includes married persons whose spouse earns significantly less (or no income at all) and is assigned tax class V. Widows are also in this class, until the end of the first year after the death of their spouse. Widows are also in this class, until the end of the first year after the death of their spouse..

IV - Both spouses receive if they have the same income.

V - Is available only if the spouse was assigned to tax class III during the taxable fiscal year.

VI - refers to taxpayers, several employers in Germany.

The result of the income tax calculation depends on a number of factors, including the tax contributions levied by the employer, the overall family and personal situation of the taxpayer, the benefits provided, the expenses shown and other income of the taxpayer and his spouse earned in Germany and abroad. Therefore, the final result of the calculation may be a tax refund or surcharge amount.

How to pay tax if I have a surcharge?

If the settlement results in a surcharge in favor of the authorities, the authorities will inform you in the Bescheid decision how much you have to pay. Among other things, you will be informed by when you have to pay the amount due to the authorities and to which account. If you do not know how to make the correct transfer to the authority, please contact us. Sometimes it happens that the tax office specifies in the tax ruling advance payments to be paid in the next return. Advance payments are calculated for taxpayers who have quite frequent additional payments to the office. Advance payments are due quarterly. The decision will also indicate by which date a particular advance payment must be paid.

It is best to file and settle sooner rather than later. The office processes returns in the order they are received. It is a good idea to file electronically. Electronic returns are processed faster.

What should I do if I have been waiting longer than six months for my declaration?

There are many cases where you have to wait more than six months for a tax refund or a tax ruling. In this case, you should contact the relevant tax authority in Germany. Please note that as part of the services we offer, we contact the authorities on your behalf.

To be able to file jointly with your spouse, you must meet certain criteria. The joint settlement option is available to a taxpayer who has acquired unlimited tax liability.

Why is it a good idea to do joint settlements with my spouse?

By including your spouse on your return, you can often claim a large amount of overpaid income tax. That said, in the case of a joint settlement, additional expenses such as running a dual household may be tax deductible. Among other things, it's worth remembering that a joint settlement is usually more favorable. It's the tax-free amount that doubles. This means that in the 2023 tax year, the tax-free amount for an individual return is: €10,908.00, and for a joint return is: €21,816.

If you are wondering whether you have to calculate for Elterngeld, how to calculate for foreign unemployment benefits and whether it even makes sense to show these benefits on your tax return, the answer is yes! If you received benefits that were paid by a separate institution, for example:

  • sickness benefit paid by the health insurance company (Krankenkasse)
  • unemployment benefit paid by the unemployment office (Arbeitsamt)
  • bankruptcy relief
  • Parental allowance (Mutterschaftsgeld, Elterngeld)
  • vacation pay from the vacation fund (this applies only to the construction industry)

Send us a decision about these benefits. These decisions state for which period the benefits were received and in what amount. These letters are issued by the institutions that administer the specific benefits. In the case of vacation pay, the Vacation Fund issues what is known as a vacation certificate. We require this document in the original.

The aforementioned benefits should definitely be included in your declaration.

When preparing your German tax return, the main income that you do not have to report to the Finance Office is income from MiniJob, MidiJob, Hartz IV and non-recurring work performed in the agricultural sector. These incomes are not included in the German return. All other global income earned by the taxpayer must be reported on the tax return.

After you receive a tax decision, you have the opportunity to file an appeal within the statutory deadline specified in the document. If your tax return was filed incorrectly - use our services. The deadline for filing a correction (appeal) is strictly defined, so don't wait! Send your documents for review sooner rather than later!

You’ll find more about tax refunds from Germany on the blog:

No posts found.

Contact form

Fill out the form and we will call you back and take care of the formalities.

Contact form

Fill out the form and we will call you back and take care of the formalities.

Marketing Agreements

I confirm that I have read and understood the following information regarding the processing of personal data

The purpose and method of processing personal data of persons submitting a request via the form is TimeTax sp. z o.o., ul. Niemodlińska 8, 45-710 Opole NIP: 754-304-75-58, REGON: 160517377 hereinafter: personal data controller. ...

Purposes of data processing:
Your data will be processed for:
a) to contact you to respond to your request (the legal basis for processing the data of the person making the request is legitimate interest - art. 6 ust. 1 lit. f RODO)
b) to demonstrate the exercise of your rights (the legal basis for processing is the legitimate interest of the controller - art. 6 ust. 1 lit. f RODO).
c)to send you future marketing materials related to the services of TimeTax sp. z o.o. and related companies - if you further consent (art. 6 ust.1 lit. a RODO) - you consent by checking the box.).
d) if, after our specialists have responded to your request, you wish to enter into a contract (the legal basis for processing your data will be the conclusion and execution of the contract). - art. 6 ust. 1 lit. b RODO)

Data processing period
In case a) your personal data will be processed throughout the conclusion and execution of the contract.
In case b) your personal data will be processed within the statute of limitations for claims arising from the processing of your data or in connection with ongoing recruitment processes,
In case c), your personal data will be held until you withdraw your consent. You can withdraw your consent: via e-mail:
In case d), your personal data will be processed throughout the conclusion and execution of the contract.

Data transfer
Your data may be entrusted to companies providing IT and office services. In addition, law enforcement agencies have the right to access your data based on applicable law.
Data will not be transferred to recipients in third countries.

Data request
Providing the data is optional, however, if you choose not to provide it, please know that it will not be possible to submit your request. However, you can also contact us in other ways - please check the contact tab

You're entitled to:
• access to and a copy of your data,
• request for correction of your data,
• deletion or restriction of personal data processing,
• object when data is processed on the basis of art. 6 ust. 1 lit. f RODO,
• submit a complaint to the Personal Data Protection Authority Officer.

TimeTax sp. z o.o. has appointed a Data Protection Officer, who you can contact by email at: about exercising your rights and other matters related to the processing of your Personal Data.

Do you have any questions?